Remember to be kind to yourself and to everyone and every living creature around you.
There are tons of reasons why you should choose vegan food over the other. Read that over a year span there are 9 billions animals like birds, pigs and cows that are killed each year for food in the US.
So today, show some compassion for the creatures that we over look, because like your sweet dog or cat, these animals are as every bit as smart and social.
Here are some ways you can celebrate Vegan Day even if you still consume meat, show compassion and try one of these):
- Invite friends/family over and do a vegan potluck. Check out our recipes under Meatless Munchies for ideas. Here is one that I am going to try:
- 1 14-ounce package of extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup water
Unwrap the tofu and shake off any excess moisture. Place the tofu in a freezer bag or wrap well in plastic, then freeze the sealed tofu for at least 24 hours.
The next day, thaw the tofu by placing it—unwrapped—into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl and microwave on high, checking every 2 to 3 minutes to make sure the tofu doesn’t cook. Once thoroughly defrosted, gently squeeze out any excess moisture and cut into 1-inch cubes.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a shallow bowl, add the bread crumbs and spices, mixing well. In a separate bowl, pour 1/2 cup of water.
Dip each piece of tofu first into the water, lightly shake off any excess water, and then coat with the seasoned bread crumbs.
Put the breaded tofu cubes on a lightly oiled baking pan and baked 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
Serve with a dipping sauce such as sweet and sour or barbecue, or spicy mustard
- Visit a farmed animal sanctuary. It’s a great way to stay connected to those animals that have endured factory farm abuse and survived. Great activity for the entire family or go with friends. It will warm your heart.
- Pass along your favorite reads to friends that have shown interest in the way you eat. My favorite is Skinny Bitch or The Kind Diet